03/02/2022 Principal's Note

The news isn't good: Hundreds of civilians killed or wounded; thousands of soldiers dead on both sides; millions of dollars in damage; an incalculable impact on the world economy. As the 7th-grade geography teacher, I have tried to keep the students informed of the situation occurring in Ukraine; not only is it relevant to the topic of geography, but it is also one of those "living history" events, like Pearl Harbor, 9/11, and the COVID-19 pandemic. One day we will be teaching students from our textbooks about the current happenings in Ukraine in the same way we teach them about the American Revolution and the Invasion of Normandy. We will also have first-hand accounts from some of our WELS members and members of the Ukrainian Lutheran Church, our sister synod based in Ukraine. Reading those primary sources of information is heartbreaking. All we can do is watch and pray.

Sometimes that sounds defeatist, doesn't it? "All we can do is pray." We wish we could do more to help, but we throw up our hands and say those words, with the unspoken undertones of "A lot of good that will do..." We forget about the power of prayer. Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. One of the most iconic pictures of this season is Jesus in Gethsemane, flanked by his weary disciples, praying so fervently that his sweat poured from his body like blood. Do you know what he was praying for? The answer is simple: You. Read John 17 the next time you pick up your Bible. "I have given them [believers] your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world" (John 17:14, NIV 2011). Jesus goes on to ask God to protect his people from the evil one, and to plead for his protection. This is the same prayer we pray for the people of Ukraine, that God would keep them safe from the wickedness of this world. The existence of war in general, the willingness to take the life of others, the ability of leaders to commit these atrocities for personal gain, the tendency of outside countries to stand idly by and coldly analyze the conflict without intervening, and the hyper-focus of citizens on "how is this conflict going to affect my wallet" instead of first having concern for those suffering are all consequences of sin in our world and the influence of "the evil one" Jesus prayed against. Join your voices with his, and conclude your prayers with the same words the apostle John used at the end of Revelation: "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus" (Revelation 22:20, NIV 2011). Only when we are home in heaven will things get better.

I've been privileged to sing at two different funerals for Emanuel members since I arrived, and at both funerals, we sang the hymn "I'm But a Stranger Here" (Christian Worship: Hymnal, Hymn 853, 2021). What comforting words when we see all the horrible, sinful events taking place around us:

I'm but a stranger here, heav'n is my home;
earth is a desert drear, heav'n is my home;
danger and sorrow stand round me on ev'ry hand;
heav'n is my fatherland, heav'n is my home.

What though the tempest rage, heav'n is my home;
short is my pilgrimage, heav'n is my home;
and time's wild, wintry blast soon shall be overpast;
I shall reach home at last, heav'n is my home.

Therefore I murmur not, heav'n is my home;
whate'er my earthly lot, heav'n is my home;
and I shall surely stand there at my Lord's right hand;
heav'n is my fatherland, heav'n is my home.

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

In Christ,

Principal Bill Fuerstenau