01/26/2022 Principal's Note

"I'm not angry; I'm just disappointed." If I had a dollar for every time I heard that from my father when I was growing up, I might be driving a nicer car than what is sitting in the parking lot across the street from Emanuel. Hearing those words always stung more than any other discipline I could receive. Knowing that my behavior had hurt my loving parent's heart gave my conscience a good thumping. I do NOT like disappointing people!

On the other side of things, I am hugely disappointed in the Packers right now. Can you believe how that season ended? What a sad excuse for a number one seed, to go out the way they did. At first, I was angry, mostly because I spend so much time during the football season watching the Packers play, or reading news about the Packers, or talking to people about the Packers; but nothing matters if you don't take that last step and win it all. Now though, a few days later, the anger is gone, and all that is left is that hollow feeling of disappointment.

We don't like disappointment, but it is all around us. Our children misbehave in public; our careers don't live up to our expectations; we have completely failed our New Year's resolutions by January 26. To avoid disappointment, we really only have two options. Option number one, live your life expecting to always be disappointed in every situation, so you can become the constant pessimist that elbows the person next to you and says, "See? I told you this would turn out terribly!" Don't be surprised if you are then disappointed by your lack of friends. 

Option number two is much better: be like Paul. The apostle Paul had a rollercoaster ride of a life. He started out as a top-dog Pharisee, riding high on his self-righteousness and chasing after early Christians to snuff out the idea of Jesus as Savior. It wasn't long before Jesus himself brought Paul low, taking away his sight and making him helpless. After having his sight restored and becoming an apostle of Jesus, Paul experienced the ups of starting churches in different cities, being welcomed into believers' homes, and hanging out with the people who physically walked with the Savior. He also hit the lows of being imprisoned, beaten, stoned, and rejected. Paul knew disappointment. And yet he wrote, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:12-13, NIV 2011). According to Paul, the secret to being content (which is the opposite of being disappointed) is to go to God. Look at what God has done, read his Word, take part in his Sacraments, and you will realize that the things which disappoint us in this life don't matter nearly as much as we think they do. 

This week, don't fight disappointment by being like Eeyore, always moping around and telling people, "I told you so..." Instead, rejoice in all that God has done for you, both in this life and, more importantly, to secure your life to come. That kind of contentment is sweeter than anything, even a Packers Super Bowl victory.

Have a blessed week, everyone!

In Christ,

Principal Bill Fuerstenau